Copies of circulating Burns Law Library material
- Students and faculty submit a request through the interlibrary loan system accessed via JACOB, the library catalog. Faculty only - if they prefer, can choose to send an email to email@example.com instead of using the ILL system. Using the ILL system is preferred, because if the item cannot be located at Burns the staff can easily submit it to another library.
- Faculty: If you choose to send an email include full details, including title, publication year, beginning and ending pages.
- Students: No copies will be made from materials that are on course reserve/reserve books, other books, and/or study aids needed for a class. Scans will not be provided from material with the location of CRES (Course Reserve)/Reserve.
- Students: Limited to 20 images per day.
- Copyright policy and restrictions apply to all requests.
- Copies are emailed to your @law.gwu.edu address
- Generally, scans will be provided within 24 hours but may take longer based on workflow.
Copies via Interlibrary Loan
- ILL: If there are any copyright fees attached to obtaining this item, it will be the responsibility of the the student patron to pay the fees before the request will be processed. You will receive an email with relevant details.
Loans for Burns Law Library items
- Most circulating items are available to be checked out.
- Course Reserve, Reserve and other non-circulating items are not available
- All circulation policies apply.
- Students and faculty submit a request through the interlibrary loan system accessed via JACOB, the library catalog. Faculty, if they prefer, can choose to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org instead of using the ILL system. Using the ILL system is preferred. If the item cannot be located at Burns the staff can easily submit it to another library.
- Students: Items are held for 10 days. After that they are re-shelved.
- Faculty: If you choose to send an email include full details, including title, publication year, and author.
- Shipping: If you are a distance education student you may request items be shipped.
Loans via Interlibrary Loan and CLS
- Interlibrary Loan:
- Loan requests are being processed. Note: Many libraries continue to be closed. We will try to get the item but there is no guarantee we will be able to locate an open library willing to ship.
- Received items are available for pick up or shipping. See shipping section below for criteria.
- CLS: Any request sent through CLS is unmediated. This means the ILL staff do not see the request as it is sent directly to the lending library for their review. If the request is cancelled the staff have no way of knowing the reason. If you need the item, it is suggested you submit an ILL request.
Pick up (Grab & Go) for Burns, ILL and CLS items
- Student and library staff: The Grab&Go pick up location is next to the reference desk in the Reference Commons room.
- All students must retrieve requested items at the Grab&Go location within 10 days from receipt of the pick up email. If you are a distance education student (as verified by the Records Office) you may request shipping of the books.
- Faculty and law school staff: Pick up your items at the circulation desk. The circulation staff will retrieve the items.
Returning books to the library
- Return books to the circulation desk or the book drop located outside the door.
- If you are a distance education student who has borrowed books ship them to the library via a tracking service (UPS, FedEx, etc.) at your expense.