|Jacob Burns Law Library|
|716 20th Street, N.W.|
|Washington, D.C. 20052|
We are located on the main campus, in historic Foggy Bottom.
Main Phone: 202.994.6648
Burns Dispatch: 202.994.2768
- FAX: 202.994.0433
- Fee-based document delivery service for attorneys, law firms and other commercial enterprises
Welcome to the Law Library
We are here to provide information assistance to the GW Law faculty and students. We also encourage GW Law alumni and Friends of the Jacob Burns Law Library to use our services. Please ask us if you have a question about legal research or about library services and operations.
Find your zone for a quiet place to study or to collaborate on a project.
Who May use the Law Library
Access to the Law Library is exclusively reserved for:
- GW Law faculty, students, alumni and staff of the GW Law School and Friends of the Jacob Burns Law Library;
- The George Washington University, including students, faculty and staff of the University who need to use the Law Library's resources to conduct legal research; and,
- Students and faculty of OCLC Shares partner institutions. Please contact your home institution for information about its OCLC Shares membership.
During reading and examination periods, access is limited to GW Law faculty, students, alumni and staff and to Friends of the Jacob Burns Law Library. The Law Library may not be used as a study hall except by current students and recent graduates of GW Law.
Questions about the Law Library's Access Policy may be sent to the Assistant Director for Public Services at email@example.com.
The following types of identification are required to enter the Law Library:
- GW Law faculty, students and staff should present a GWorld card. Law students without a GWorld card must obtain a temporary pass from the circulation desk to enter the Law Library. Friends of the Jacob Burns Law Library must present a Friends card for admission.
- Adjunct faculty of GW Law should obtain a GWorld card upon appointment. The card is non-transferable and admits only the adjunct faculty member for the teaching semester.
- Students, faculty and staff of The George Washington University must present a GWorld card.
- GW Law alumni must present a GW Law Alumni card along with a photo identification or a GWorld card for admission. Alumni identification cards and GWorld cards are non-transferable and admit only the alumnus.
- Students and faculty from OCLC Shares partner institutions may be granted a one-day admission to the Law Library upon showing a photo ID from an OCLC Shares institution.
Reading & Exam Period
Dec. 1 - 15
Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 11:45pm
Saturday - Sunday, 9:00am - 11:45pm
Dec. 16, 8:00am - 6:45pm
Dec. 17 - Jan. 3: 9:00am - 4:45pm
Dec. 20-21, Sat. & Sun.: CLOSED
Dec. 24-25, Wed. & Thur.: CLOSED
Dec. 27-28, Sat. & Sun.: CLOSED
Dec. 31-Jan.1, Wed. & Thur.: CLOSED
Spring Schedule Begins: Sunday, January 4
Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:45pm
Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 11:45pm
Ask a librarian:
Monday - Thursday: 9:00am - 8:00pm
Friday: 9:00am - 7:00pm
Saturday : 10:00am - 7:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am - 7:00pm
The reference desk is located on the first floor of the law library.